Thursday, March 15, 2012

Day 7- Dream Job

What is your dream job and why?

Well, this was easy.  My dream job is to be a second grade teacher!  Honestly, I have the best job, e v e r.  Let's start with numbers.  I work 180 days a year.  180 days breaks down into 36 weeks a year.  Which means I get 16 weeks of vacation time every single year.  This vacation time falls in all the right place.  I get off 10 weeks every summer.  2 weeks every Christmas/New Years.  I get at least one 3 day weekend a month.  I get a Fall break, Thanksgiving break, Spring Break, and an Easter Break.  I will always have the same days off of work that my kids get off of school.  I'll never feel guilty about trying to find a sitter when they're home and I'm at work.  I can stay home with them.  Right now, it means that I get to spend every day with my daughter when she's in town.  & If I'm working, I can bring her to work with me.  She loves coming to work with me.  She asks to come to work with me.

Distance- I live right next to my school.  My contract says I have to work 8-4 Mon-Fri.  I can leave my house at 7:55am and still get to work by 8:00.  I'm supposed to stay until 4, but if all my work is done (lesson plans, grading and whatever else) I can leave when I finish.  Well- I know how to manage my time when I'm at work so I can leave ten minutes early.  Wednesdays are always half days with school ending at 11:30am, so I can leave extra early on Wednesdays as long as my work is done.  I'm usually away from the home about 36 hours a week.  & Ryan is sleeping for 13 of them.  I'm away only 23 hours a week during his wake time.  Daddy watches him those hours so it's not too bad being away.

So, on top of that- I get to spend my days with people I truly love.  I love these kids.  Each and every one of them.  It's so fun to view the world from the eyes of a child.  I love listening to the funny things they say and watching the way they learn.  I teach them so many things throughout the course of a year. I love to watch them learn new things because I taught it to them It's my job to teach them how to be better people, how to respect others, to be fair, to tell the truth, to play nicely, to be responsible for themselves and their belongings, and to make good choices. .. and so much more.

My job truly does make a difference in so many lives.  My first year I had 21 kids, then 28, 28, and now 27.  That's 104 new lives in just 4 short years. I have met 104 amazing people.  I've taught 104 children.  I've loved 104 children.  & each of them have loved me back because I'm good at what I do.

& at the end of the day, I get to go home to what matters most in this world, my babies. 

1 comment: