Monday, November 5, 2012

Show & Tell; Careers




1. Tell us what you studied in college. Is your job now related to what you studied?

When I first went to U of A, my major was classified as "pre-nursing."  I wanted to be a pediatric nurse and then go on to pediatrics.  Well, after two years, I didn't like it anymore.  The classes weren't fun, they weren't interesting, I didn't enjoy what I was doing or what I was learning.  After an elective class, "Literacy Tutoring," I had to volunteer in a classroom for 1-2 hours a week.  Well, I volunteered in a K/1 combo class.  I swear as I walked into the classroom for the first time, I found my calling.  I knew what I wanted to do with the rest of my life.  After completing my second year I met with an advisor and switched my major over to Elementary Education.  I loved my classes, I loved the volunteer hours.  What I was learning didn't seem like so much work anymore, I WANTED to learn and I wanted to go to class.

I got offered a job teaching second grade right around the time I was graduating.  I am now in my 5th year teaching second grade.   Yes, my career is what I studied in college.

2. Tell us what your everyday job looks like.

I can tell you what I am doing/teaching every minute of everyday.  I teach math, reading, language arts, science, social studies, and writing to 26 second graders.  I grade papers and write lesson plans.  I see lots of smiles and laughs.  I get recess everyday and lots of time off.  Basically, I have the best job in the world :)

3. Do you have a picture of you at work? Show us.

I'm not sure.  Let me search around, I'm sure I can find something.

 
That took me a little while.  The date is written on the board, Oct 2007.  This was me during my methods semester.  The following semester was student teaching.  This is the same I student taught in.  They were first graders who are now 6th graders.  This is not my classroom.  I have a ton of pictures of my kids, but none of me actually teaching or in them.


4. In 10 years, what do you see yourself doing? Same thing? More? Tell us.

I love my job and I love what I do.  I see myself teaching in 10 years and even 20 years.  In fact, I have to teach until I'm 60 to get good retirement benefits.  That's 32 more years!  haha.  I don't plan on ever going into administration.

5. Tell us what you have learned, and what {if any} recommendations you may have for those looking to go into the field you are in.

I have learned so much.  I don't think teaching is for everybody, and I know that most people wouldn't be able to do what I do every day.  I find joy in what I do.  I think people who teach have big hearts.  One thing I have definitely learned is patience.  Teaching 26 7/8 year olds takes a lot of patience and flexibility.  If anyone is truly passionate about teaching, I say go for it.  Kids need great teachers and people they can look up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment